Turning Contact Centers into Customer Loyalty Engines
Where organizations can’t afford to lose even a single customer, poor customer service can lead to high levels of customer dissatisfaction and turnover, resulting in significant revenue loss. According to research, acquiring a new customer is 6-7 times more expensive than retaining a current one. So, it’s critical for organizations to focus on retaining their existing customers.
Contact centers can turn into customer loyalty engines by providing personalized customer service to every customer. This will not only help retain and keep existing customers happy and satisfied, but also boost revenue and brand advocacy. Happy and satisfied customers are more likely to buy more and share their experiences with family, friends and colleagues. They can even go an extra mile to recommend the brand on social networks, public forums, and blogs to generate additional sales.
Converting contact centers into customer loyalty engines will essentially involve the following steps:
- Understand Your Customer’s Needs and Expectations: Using customer interaction analytics, customer insights can be garnered to optimize the customer service. Analytics can provide useful insights on customer needs, expectations and behaviour and help personalize the customer service. It can help predict buying habits and lifestyle preferences of customers, and thus equip contact centers to deliver a customized treatment to every customer.
- Identify Call Drivers: Spotting which topics are driving customer calls and which call types constitute the highest call volume traffic is crucial for contact centers to effectively handle customer’s queries and control call volume. A thorough understanding of the key call drivers can help contact centers optimize their self-service channels and prepare agents to answer those specific calls in the most appropriate and quickest manner. Thus, identifying the call drivers can deliver several benefits by means of increasing the agent productivity, reducing the call handle time and decreasing the cost of customer service.
- Ensure Skills-based Routing: By routing the contacts to the most suitable agents, armed with the right industry expertise and skills, can lead to manifold increase in customer satisfaction. Apart from the effective handling of customer inquiries, it can help improve AHT, FCR and customer experience up to a great extent. This task calls for establishing an advanced skills-based routing system driven by intelligent technologies.
- Provide Web Self-service: Web self-service empowers a customer to troubleshoot their own issues, without seeking the help of any agent. The customer visits your website, has a query and finds an instant solution. This helps in improving the customer’s experience, while reducing the call volume and wait times, allowing contact center agents to handle more complex issues.
- Offer Multi-channel Customer Service: Though talking to a real person still remains the first preference of most customers, non-voice channels are slowly and gradually gaining popularity. A contact center agent typically handles an average of 2.7 customer calls per hour, but the same agent can handle an average of 11.5 chats per hour. Besides chat, channels like email, text/SMS, knowledgebase, etc. can be used to support customers. These are less expensive customer support channels than the phone. However these can be equally effective and sometimes even better in handling customer inquiries, depending upon the context.
- Deliver Personalized Customer Treatment: Customers want to receive a personalized treatment. They want to reach to a real person, be it through the phone, a website or social media. This task demands the integration of customer service channels and delivering customer service through competent customer service representatives. According to Forrester Research, majority of buyers on a website have a question before completing their purchase. So, it’s important that you answer the queries with a personal touch, high-speed, and accuracy. Your personalized treatment will have a greater impact on the potential customer’s buying decisions.
By delivering excellent customer service, contact centers can build deep loyal relationships with customers and drive their top-line growth. As the incomes or needs grow, loyal customers tend to come back, over and over, to a trustworthy company they feel good about.